June 20, 2014
Victoria, B.C. – The Board of Directors of the British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC) is pleased to announce the appointment of Gordon J. Fyfe as Chief Executive Officer / Chief Investment Officer effective July 7, 2014. Gordon will replace Doug Pearce, who announced his retirement last August after being at the helm of bcIMC for more than two decades.
Gordon has more than 30 years in the investment and finance industry and brings a strong and extensive investment executive background to bcIMC. He started with JP Morgan in New York and London and then moved to senior executive positions at Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and TAL Global Asset Management. Gordon most recently served for the past 11 years as the President and Chief Executive Officer of the Public Sector Pension Investment Board which manages assets of more than $90 billion. Originally from Victoria, Gordon holds a degree in Commerce from the University of British Columbia and an MBA from INSEAD, France.
“We are delighted to have Gordon join our team. His experience is crucial as bcIMC seeks to expand its global reach and continues to implement its current business strategy,” said Rick Mahler, Chair of the Board.
“I am honoured to have the opportunity to lead bcIMC, a company that is held in high regard by the investment industry,” said Fyfe. “This appointment also allows me to return to my hometown of Victoria and I look forward to working with the entire bcIMC team in delivering strong long-term returns for our clients in British Columbia.”
“I am pleased with the Board’s appointment of Gordon Fyfe,” said Doug Pearce, bcIMC’s retiring Chief Executive Officer / Chief Investment Officer. “He has an exemplary track record from his time at PSP Investments and is well suited to lead bcIMC through its next stage of growth.”
Pearce, who has been at the helm of bcIMC since 1988, has grown gross assets under management from $9.5 billion to $114.0 billion. During his tenure, Pearce strategically combined bcIMC’s long-term investment philosophy with the need to integrate environmental, social and governance factors into investment decisions. He served as the Chair of the Canadian Coalition for Good Governance, a group comprised of large institutional investors, from 2006 to 2009.
“bcIMC’s Board and its clients thank Doug for his vision and leadership over the years,” said Mahler. “We wish him success and good health in the future.”
Backgrounder: Mr. Gordon J. Fyfe
- Mr. Gordon J. Fyfe is appointed as the Chief Executive Officer / Chief Investment Officer of the British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (bcIMC) effective July 7, 2014.
- Gordon J. Fyfe was previously the President and Chief Executive Officer of Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSP Investments), a position he held since 2003. PSP Investments is one of Canada’s largest pension investment managers. It invests funds for the pension plans of the Public Service, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, the Canadian Forces and its Reserve Force.
- Prior to joining PSP Investments, Gordon J. Fyfe held the position of President, CDP Capital – World Markets. Gordon J. Fyfe was also President and Chief Operating Officer of TAL International, a division of TAL Global Asset Management. He also served as a Vice President at JP Morgan in London, England.
- Gordon J. Fyfe is a member of the Board of Directors of Telesat Canada and TimberWest Forest Corp. He serves as Chair of the Emory Center for Alternative Investments in Atlanta, is a director and past Chair of the Pacific Pension Institute (PPI) and a member of the Investment Committee of the Echo Foundation.
- Graduate of INSEAD, Fontainebleau, France and UBC, Vancouver, British Columbia.